09 March 2011

Burning Ice, Biting Flame, and a Bracelet of Bones

All the b-words above are quotations from the work of Kevin Crossley-Holland. The man himself ventured into Viqueen territory earlier today, to take part in a round table of writers of popular books about the Middle Ages, organised by a most estimable colleague of mine. A good time was had by all, the speakers were all engaging, the audience all engaged, and I'm told that the subsequent workshops fairly zinged with excitement. The day was tinged with some nostalgia for me, since K.C-H. and I have a long-ago connection (strictly professional of course, but hugely important to me) that goes back some twenty years or more - the interested reader can certainly discover it by diligent research - and it was the first time I had seen him since then.
More importantly, Kevin is a prolific and successful poet, prize-winning author of works for children, and skilful interpreter of Norse and Anglo-Saxon cultures. For his views on burning ice and biting flame, see this guest blog on Norse mythology for one of his publishers. As for the bracelet of bones, that is in fact the title of Kevin's forthcoming children's novel on a Viking theme, to be published within the next month or so. Definitely something to look forward to.

2 comments:

  1. I was wondering if you would be able to review a few chapters of a new Viking themed novel. It would be invaluable to me to see what a Professor of Viking studies thinks of the text.

    My email is in my profile; if you could drop me a line I would love to hear from you... I also have many questions about Viking forging processes and materials they would have used etc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baldr, Thanks for your interest in the blog, and good luck with your writing. Unfortunately, I receive many requests like yours and don't have the time to help out, but I hope it goes well.

    ReplyDelete